Wednesday 25 May 2016

'Girls of Gugulethu - Beauty in Disparity' - Africa Day Celebration.


In the absence from blogging during the month of April and most of May, I have been doing some reading, research, having conversations and doing quite some Introspection. I have been asking myself questions, questions that sooner or later any human being asks themselves, what do I want to be known for? How do I want to be seen? I am still trying to figure it out, I am well on my way there though. I have been very Inspired and when I get that way my heart beats in a strange way, I get excited as if the most amazing news will come my way. I try to stay in this state, it is when I draw the most invigorating ideas. 

In light of ideas, as soon as I realized it is Africa Month, I knew I could not let this month and this day pass without me doing something to acknowledge this day ( I write this post listening to the late Mama Miriam Makeba ). Africa month commemorates the founding of the African Union previously known as the Organisation of the African Union on 25 May 1963. It has been retained as celebration of African Unity with many African countries gaining Independence from colonial ruling.

I thought of how to celebrate this day in my own capacity. After much thought, I came up with the idea of showing my traditional roots and placing that on the back drop of Gugulethu one of the informal settlements of Cape Town. 'Girls of Gugulethu - Beauty in Disparity'. Economic Inequality in Cape Town is glaringly obvious and it is my responsibility as a storyteller to show that through my creativity. There are many issues I plan to tackle through photography and film. 

I worked and collaborated with two lovely ladies. Cebisa Mafukuzela, a fashion designer her label is called Nolali, she is modeling with me and we are wearing her designs in the images. Nondwe Nyathi founder of Indwe Designs. Both these women are creative gems drawing Inspiration from their history and the continent of Africa. We had a great time doing this project. Check out the short video on my Instagram. 

Big up to our national broadcaster, the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) on the 90% South African playlist on our radio's.  

Oh and 40 000+ page views? Thank you!

Enjoy!   




























Lesley Mphanga you Superhero, thank you for doing what you know best. 

1 comment:

  1. There is beauty in tranquility. That is the reason why ROOTS are rooted. They are still and even if they move its of the faintest margin. However, the impact they have is of the greatest scale. That is our ROOTS! Apho siphuma khona. Lapho sivela khona! Africa Unite

    ReplyDelete